12:00 - 14:00
08:00 - 20:00
10 classical sights of Kyiv
10 unusual sights of Kyiv
12:00 - 14:00
08:00 - 20:00
Maidan Nezalezhnosti and Khreshchatyk street
Heart of the Kyiv city, main square of Ukraine. Khreshchatyk street and Maidan Nezalezhosti (former name October Revolution) was totally rebuilt after WWII in Stalin's Empire style. Along the street are located buildings of the Ukrainian House, the Main Post Office, the Kiev City Administration, the Besarabka Market and monument to Lenin. On Maidan square located monument to Kyi, Schek and Khoryv - the legendary founders of Kiev, the folklore hero Cossack Mamay, the city's historic protector Archangel Michael and the protecting goddess Berehynia - monument to the Independence of Ukraine.
Khreshchatyk (120) or Maidan Nezalezhnosti (217)
Google maps: 50.447311, 30.521972
Architectural monument of Kievan Rus', was built in 11th century by Yaroslav the Wisdom and rebuilt in 17th century in Ukrainian Baroque style. Cathedral is part of UNESCO World Heritage List.
Zoloti Vorota (314), 24 Volodymyrska str. - Sofiyska sq.
Google maps: 50.452778, 30.514444
Entrance fee: 3 UAH (0.3 EUR)
Enter to the bell tower: 8 UAH (0.8 EUR - paid separately)
Enter to the Cathedral: 20 UAH (2 EUR - paid separately)
St. Michael's Golden-Domed Monastery
St.Michael Cathedral was built in the 12th century by Sviatopolk II Iziaslavych. The original cathedral was demolished by the Soviet authorities in the 1930s, but was reconstructed and opened in 1999 following Ukrainian independence.
Maidan Nezalezhnosti (217) or Zoloti Vorota (314), 6 Tryokhsviatytelska str. - Mykhaylivska sq.
Google maps: 50.455556, 30.522778
Golden Gates of Kiev (Zoloti vorota) is a major landmark of the Ancient Kyiv and historic gateway in the ancient city fortress. In 1982, the gate was completely reconstructed for the 1500th anniversary of Kyiv.
Zoloti Vorota (314), 40a Volodymyrska str.
Google maps: 50.448889, 30.513333
Nearby of Golden Gate are located the "Castle of Baron" house (1 Yaroslaviv Val str.), Karaite Kenesa (7 Yaroslaviv Val str.) and National Opera of Ukraine (50 Volodymyrska str.)
St.Andrew Church and Andriyivskyy Descent
Saint Andrew's Church is a major Baroque church, was constructed in 1747–1754, to a design by the Imperial Russian architect Bartolomeo Rastrelli. Church is located on the top of Andriyivskyy Descent - historic descent connecting Kyiv's Upper Town neighborhood and Podil neighborhood. The street also called as "Montmartre of Kiev".
Along the descent are located the "Castle of Richard the Lionheart" house, the sculptors' Ivan Kavaleridze museum, the Mikhail Bulgakov's house-museum, the One Street Museum and a lot of café and souvenir shops.
23 Andriyivskyy Descent
Google maps: 50.458889, 30.518056
Historical commercial neighborhood of Kyiv on Dnipro riverside with a lot of architectural and historical landmarks.
Center of Podil is Kontraktova square - historical place of big winter trade fair. Nearby of square are located the National University of Kyiv-Mohyla Academy, the Hostynyi Dvir, the Peter the Great house, the Ivan Mazepa house - Museum of Hetmanate, the Museum of Chernobyl, the monuments to Petro Konashevych-Sahaidachny and Hryhorii Skovoroda, the Foutain of Samson and a lot of churches: Assumption Church in Pyrohoshcha, Florivsky Convent, St.Nicholas Prytyska Church, St.Nicholas the Kind Church, Intercession Church, St.Nicholas on Riverside Church, St.Elijah Church, St.Catherine Greek Church.
On Poshtova square located Kyiv River Port, the Old Post Office house, the Nativity Church and the funicular station. Nearby of square located the monument to the Magdeburg rights and Parkovy (Pedestrian) Bridge to the Trukhaniv island.
Kontraktova ploshcha (215) and Poshtova ploshcha (216)
Google maps: 50.463210, 30.518654
"Volodymyrska Hirka" Park and monument to St.Volodymyr the Great
Volodymyrska Hirka (St. Volodymyr's Hill) is a large park located on the steep banks of the Dnipro River. The park was established in the mid-19th century, named for the statue of St. Volodymyr of Kyiv which is located in the park.
Behind the St.Michael Monastery, nearby of the top funicular station.
Google maps: 50.456334, 30.526111
21 Lavrska str.
Kyiv-Pechersk Lavra - Kiev Monastery of the Caves - is a historic Orthodox Christian monastery, was found in the early 11th century by Anthony, an Orthodox monk. Today Lavra is a center of Ukrainian Orthodox Church (Moscow Patriarchy) and one of greatest museum complex (Book and print history museum, Museum of Ukrainian folk art etc.)
Complex of Kyiv-Pechersk Lavra is entered into UNESCO World Heritage List.
Entrance fee: 3 UAH (0.3 EUR). Tickets to museums are paid separately.
Arsenalna (121), trolleybus No 38, bus No 24 or bus routes No 470, 500, 520, 527 to "Kyiv Pechersk Lavra" stop.
Google maps: 50.435093, 30.557273
Sites: Museum Preserve: http://www.kplavra.kiev.ua/ Monastery: http://lavra.ua
The National Museum of the History of the Great Patriotic War of 1941-1945
24 Lavrska str.
The Museum was opened on 9 May 1981. It consists of Memorial Complex, exposition in Museum Hall, War Relic exposition, topical exposition “Tragedy and Valor of Afghanistan, On Stranger Wars, Wars on Foreign Soil”, Military Vehicles and Weaponry exhibition and monument "Motherland" with two elevators inside the statue which is connect to panoramic view areas.
Arsenalna (121), trolleybus No 38, bus No 24 to terminus, or bus routes No 470, 500, 520, 527 to "Museum of Great Patriotic War" stop.
Google maps: 50.426445, 30.563023
St.Volodymyr Cathedral was built in a fall of 19-th century in neo-Byzantine style. Frescoes in Cathedral were created under the guidance of Professor A. Prakhov by a group of famous painters: Mikhail Nesterov, Viktor Vasnetsov, Mikhail Vrubel and others.
Today Cathedral is the mother cathedral of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church - Kiev Patriarchy.
20 Taras Shevchenko blvd.
Google maps: 50.444857, 30.508770
Peyzazhna Aleya Park
Peyzazhna Aleya (Landscape Path) Park was opened in 2009. The most famous part of the park is children garden with mosaic cats, ceramic fountains and animal benches. Sculptures made by Kostyantyn Skrytutskyy. Also in park located "Alice in Wonderland" slide, "Mosaic Birds" kinder garden (both by K.Skrytutskyy) and open air gallery of contemporary sculpture.
Nearby of the National Historical Museum of Ukraine, 2 Volodymyrska str., behind the houses on even side of Velyka Zhytomyrska str.
Google maps: 50.456382, 30.515699
"Hedgehog in the Fog"
Wooden statue by Kostyantyn Skrytutskyy is dedicate to Hedgehog - main character of Yuri Norshteyn's animation film
Zoloti Vorota (314), Zolotovortska and Reytarska str. crossroad
Google maps: 50.45124, 30.51388
Zamkova Hora Park
Zamkova Hora (Castle Hill) is a historical landmark in the center of the city. In ancient time there was a heathen temple of Veles, god of earth, waters and the underworld. In 14-th - 17-th centuries on the top of the hill was located Polish-Lithuanian Castle. In the 18th century a cemetery of Florivskyy Convent was established at north side of hill (now abandoned). In Soviet time were was a radiolocation military unit (now disbandment).
Nowadays Zamkova Hora is landscape park with great panoramic view on Podil, Andriyivskyy Descent and Vozdvyzhenska str.
Andriyivskyy Descent, stairs between houses No 20-b and 22-b
Google maps: 50.460880, 30.512623
Water Information Center (or Museum of Water)
House of Water Information Center is 130-years old water tower, part of first Kyivan water supply system. Few interactive exhibitions presents history of Kyivan water supply and information about water resources of Ukraine.
Wed - Sun from 10 to 17. Guided tours only.
Entrance fee: 15 UAH (1.5 EUR)
Maidan Nezalezhnosti (217); 1v Mykhaila Hrushevskogo str., in Khreshchatyy Park.
Google maps: 50.452986, 30.530689
Cat Pantyusha statue
Bronze statue of Persian cat Pantyusha was set in Zolotovortsky Garden in 1998. Statue is symbolized cat from restaurant "Pantagruel", who was favorite pet of visitors and tragically died in a fire. Work of Bohdan Mazur.
According to city myth touching the Pantyusha's tale would bring you a happiness.
Zoloti Vorota (314); Between Golden Gate and Lysenko str.
Google maps: 50.448772, 30.512605
House with Chimaeras
10 Bankova str.
The famous Art Nouveau building located in the historic Lypky neighborhood of Kyiv. Constructed by Architect Vladislav Gorodetsky in 1901-1902. The building derives its popular name from the ornate decorations depicting exotic animals and hunting scenes, which were sculpted by Italian architect Emilio Sala since Gorodetsky was an avid hunter.
Since May 2005, the building has been an official presidential residence, used for official and diplomatic ceremonies.
According to Vladimir Vasilyev's novel "Black Palmira's face" in this building located the Kyivan Day Watch Office.
Khreshchatyk (120), exit to Institutska str.
Google maps: 50.445045, 30.528504
Water caisson, part of Kyiv defence system was built before WWII in 1936-1941. The caisson was to be the starting point of the railway tunnel under the Dnipro river.
Obolonska naberezhna, nearby of the 6-v Heroiv Stalingrada str. and the "Kievan Rus" Park.
Google maps: 50.498951, 30.523932
18 Hospitalna str.
The Kyiv Fortress, also known as the Pechersk Fortress, is a generic name for the 19th century fortification buildings. The largest part of fortress called "Hospital fortification" located on Cherepanov Hill, between Lesya Ukrainka blvd. and National Sport Complex "Olympiyskyi".
Pecherska (317), Lesya Ukrainka blvd., entrance between 12 and 14 houses.
Google maps: 50.433796, 30.528053
Lysa Hora (Bald Mountain) is historical neighborhood of Kyiv. Kyivan Lysa Hora is strongly connected to the legends about Witches' Sabbath. Mentions of Lysa Hora can be found in various historical and literary sources, such as in the writings of Nikolai Gogol and Mikhail Bulgakov.
Also on Lysa Hora located the Lysohirsky fort, part of Kyiv Fortress, built in 1872.
Google maps: 50.395972, 30.551344
The territory of historic Pyrohiv now serves as the location of a 1.5-square-kilometre (370-acre) outdoor Museum of Folk Architecture and Life of Ukraine. Founded in 1969, the museum contains over 300 pieces of folk architecture brought here from all parts of Ukraine and carefully reassembled.
Pyrohіv village, Chervonozemna str.
Cash desk working hours: from 10 to 17, museum closed at 21:30. Wednesday is off work.
Entrance fee: 30 UAH (3 EUR).
Vystavkovyi Tsentr (225), bus route No 172 to terminus.
Google maps: 50.353433, 30.504445